This post was originally posted HERE on April 14th, 2015
So I discovered Unhinged Boutique on Instagram. Kelly liked one of my photos so, I checked out her profile. That’s when I discovered her shop! I visited out her website and found out she’s doing REALLY awesome things.
1. Tell us a little about yourself. Kelly Rothrock the owner of Unhinged Boutique and I grew up in a small town outside of St. Louis, Missouri. The town I lived in was Fults, IL and consisted of 26 people. I was your simple Midwest girl living on 18 acres with my pet chickens, bunnies and dogs. I moved to St. Louis when I turned 18 and later met my now husband there. Once we got engaged I packed up everything I had in my car and moved to North Palm Beach. My husband and I recently purchased a home in Jupiter and after living in Florida for 3 years now, I cannot image living anywhere else. We are eager to grow our family soon, and are getting our first dog together next week.
2. When did you start the Unhinged Boutique brand? I decided to start Unhinged Boutique because I wanted to do something I was passionate about while making a difference. I had lost my mother from breast cancer that later turned into brain cancer back in 2013. Once profitable I will be giving back 5% of the profits to cancer research. I wanted the Unhinged Boutique brand to be different than what you usually find in South Florida. I use the term “Unique Simplicity” because all of Unhinged Boutiques clothing is simple and under stated. The jewelry is a mix of natural stones and druzys. You won’t find palazzo pants or bold prints here!
3. Who makes up the Unhinged Boutique crew?
Me, myself and I. Running a boutique on a website helps me keep my cost down because it’s just me. I am not paying rent for a retail space or paying someone an hourly wage to come in on Saturday because I want the day off. I am the one modeling the clothes, tracking the inventory and shipping the packages. There is no closing time because I have people purchasing items all hours of the night. It is pretty much a one man band except for the help of my husband who is the photographer in training. I like to joke that our fur baby Cooper, a Golden Retriever will be in charge of the inventory. I doubt this is an option is his training, but look out because he may appear in a few of our product photos.
4. What do you find most challenging about running your own business?
The most challenging part of running Unhinged Boutique is photographing the clothes! It looks like a lot of fun, but taking pictures can be pretty time consuming. I do not lay the clothing on the floor or set up an outfit on a mannequin. With being and online boutique it is important to show all the clothing on a real person, to give you the best idea of how it will fit. A typical “photo shoot” from set up to take down takes us between 3-5 hours.
5. What is the most rewarding thing about running your company?
I enjoy being my own boss. I feel proud to show people my website, and knowing what I am doing is a positive thing. Seeing my customers’ happy and hearing people’s survivor stories makes it all worth it for me. You get what you put into it, and even though I am the new girl in this industry I already see the work I have put into my business already paying off.
6. What do you do on your days off?
My husband and I enjoy renovating and home décor. The work never ends at our house! If we are not painting, landscaping or hauling furniture then you can usually find us at Homegoods.
7. How do you juggle work & family?
Since we do not have kids, it is not that hard to juggle work and family. My husband and I dedicate ourselves to our work. But we both know when it’s time to shut off work and have “us” time. He travels A LOT, so when he’s home I will try to schedule my Unhinged Boutique parties on certain nights so I’m not gone sporadically in the evenings.
8. Who is your favorite Superhero and why?
My mother will always be my hero. I remember growing up she decided she was going to start building homes. She then built 6 custom homes after the flood of Valmeyer in 1993. In 1996 she started up another business taking care of senior citizens in their home. Her joy for caring for others brought her to becoming a nanny until she passed away at 63. She achieved whatever she set her mind to, and for that she will always be my hero.
9. Where can we find Unhinged Boutique online?
Unhinged Boutique is an online only boutique and can be found on most social media sites. I try to post an #OOTD everyday on Instagram. On the website we also feature a blog that will give you an inside scoop on myself, the trade shows I attend and ways we are giving back to help the fight against cancer.
You can find us online at:
Email to arrange a shopping party or arrange pickup at email@example.com
10. Is there anything else you would like is to know? Upcoming events, etc.
We love to do shopping parties! I also have a collapsible rolling rack that travels to my event locations in Palm Beach County. We have a lot of shopping parties coming up in the month of April and quickly filling up for May. If you would like to arrange a party, please email in advance because space is limited.
I also have a promo code to cancel the shipping charge on the website, giving local customers the option to meet up in the area to collect their merchandise rather than have it shipped to their home. If you see a car driving around with “Unhinged Boutique” magnets on the door we are usually making a delivery so just give me a wave. ☺
Thank you for sharing with us, Kelly! We love hearing about women business owners in our area!
Tequesta and Jupiter both have many small businesses that make living here great! If you’d like to know more info on how you can move to our area, contact me! Myself and the rest of the Sean Underwood Real Estate Team would LOVE to help you find the perfect home in Jupiter or Tequesta!
Thanks for reading the blog, friends!! Let me know how you like the interviews and if you have any suggestions on who to interview next, please feel free to nominate them!